Pigeon Point Lighthouse at sunset. Built in 1871, named after ship Carrier Pigeon that wrecked here in 1853. Tallest lighthouse (tied with Point Arena) on the West Coast of the US at 115 ft (35 m); still an active Coast Guard aid to navigation (outside aerobeacon). Lantern room of tower equipped with original first-order, 1000-watt Fresnel lens. Illuminated for demonstration purposes only today, lens has 24 flash panels, is composed of 1008 hand-polished lenses and prisms and is capable of producing over 500,000 candlepower illumination. Manufactured by the Henry-LePaute company in Paris, France; first lit at Pigeon Point on November 15, 1872. San Mateo County, CA.